{SG}clan
April 18, 2024, 06:17:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 31X2 is our official recruiting ground. If you notice a 31X2 member performing at an SG level, give me a ring and I'll send them the invite.

- Gumbie

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

NO INTERNET!!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NO INTERNET!!!  (Read 793 times)
ArmaGeddon
{SG} Ally

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2008, 12:04:43 am »

Ok, my computer arrived yesterday, i set everything up but when i tried to access the internet, it wouldn't work. So i went to control panel and tried to connect to the internet. when anothr window popped up, the computer was searching for any wireless devices in the area. It couldn't find any and i have a wireless router right downstairs. i have tried everything in my knowledge to try fix this. i haven't the first **** about wats going on. it might be cos the settings on the comp are blocking it or some other ****. So someone please help.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Apathist
Meh.
{SG} Ally
Almost a spammer

The Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 04:32:32 am »

Vista or Xp?

If Vista, I had a similar sounding problem which I eventually solved by defining a custom network (through windows prompts) with the network name and all that jazz set to the routers settings, then it managed to find it. I can't actually remember how to do that now that  Embarrassed... still, worth fiddling with. I think it was under "Manage Wireless Networks". I've really no idea how I solved it in the end.

If Xp, no idea.

(Ironically my internet broke while posting this  Undecided)
Report Spam   Logged

Pineapples surely are the most learned kettle of fish.
Sept 19 is ITLAPD  DON'T FORGET!!
tbl
{SG} Ally
Almost a spammer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:06:44 pm »

well ive encountered stuff like invisible networks before, you have to manually input the network SSID and name + any passwords or encryption ive done it on XP.

Heres how ya do it

Start -> Connect to -> Wireless Network Connection

Properties
Wireless networks (tab)
Add

In the appropriate fields goes the information

The network name (SSID) will be what it shows up on the other computer as.

If you have a password the Network Authentication will be WPA-PSK

Data Encryption should be AES so dont change it.

Network Key will be the password (if any) to get to the network.

Connection (tab)

Make sure "connect when this network is in range" is ticked

Click OK

Then OK again and now it should show up.

If that doesnt work on XP your network card may be **** or there is a driver error.
Report Spam   Logged

(\__/)
(O.o)
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
ArmaGeddon
{SG} Ally

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 05:47:56 am »

i got vista. but wat your saying sounds similar to something i tried doing but i'm not sure how to do it.

it DID include manually entering the "User Name" and password and "network name"

Correct me if i'm wrong.

User Name:---- no idea
Password= my WPA or WEP key?
Network name:----no idea
Report Spam   Logged
ArmaGeddon
{SG} Ally

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 05:52:00 am »

oh... and when i tried the "connect to" tab. the connection method didn't show "wireless connection" as an option. it only showed "broadband" or "dial-up". my dad said that maybe it's because the comp didn't have a network adapter installed. if it's true, would this be the reason why i can't detect any wireless devices or computers on the network?
Report Spam   Logged
tbl
{SG} Ally
Almost a spammer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 07:55:29 am »

Yes it would help quite a bit to install the hardware on the computer.

When i got my laptop it came with buggy USB Hub Drivers  Cheesy but magically the problem fixed itself after 1 year of not being able to access usbs without MANUALLY assigning a drive letter to the usb and then unassigning it in order to take them out again... -.-'

funny thing is that the manufactures website AND support site didnt have the drivers...
Report Spam   Logged

(\__/)
(O.o)
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: